Search This Blog

Thursday 28 July 2011

private tutors

Coaching.....a fine line between helping and possibly hindering

Tutoring can be a useful aid to get over the education speed bumps but too much of it can gnaw away at a pupil's self-confidence, writes a year 12 student.
In these last frantic months leading up to the HSC, the mere prospect of me not having a tutor on tap sends my mother into a meltdown. (She is not so much a helicopter parent as an entire aerial fleet).
A few days ago my mother realised I wasn't being coached in a specific subject and immediately started to panic. ''This is bad, are you going to be alright?" she said fearfully, before flipping out her phone and starting to dial for a tutor.
It was as if she felt I was completely incapable of studying for myself, and at a first glance it seems like she might be right.
At present, my tutor count stands at three, with someone to help out in all of my five subjects - advanced English, two unit maths, modern history, business studies and legal studies.
I'm not alone, many members of my class at a school in Sydney's eastern suburbs have tutors. Those that don't are usually the geniuses, such as the pupil who got 100 per cent in a modern history exam who quite frankly would leave most tutors floundering in his wake.
Admittedly, I attend a private school and I'm part of a privileged world, which regards money spent on education to be an affordable luxury.


Read more

No comments:

Post a Comment